Alpaca welfare is the most important aspect of all that we do at Brackenfield Alpacas and we are committed to helping anyone who wants to own alpacas to do so responsibly. That’s why we offer Husbandry Courses to all those interested in owning alpacas and keeping them healthy. We are also members of the British Alpaca Society (BAS) and the East Midlands Alpaca Group (EMAG), both organisations are committed to ensuring the highest standards of welfare for Alpacas in the UK.
Our husbandry courses are based on all the knowedge and experience we have gained from keeping alpacas over the last 5 years. Typically the course last for a whole day and covers all aspects of looking after alpacas which includes the following topics:
- Considerations for keeping an alpaca eg. land, shelter, companion animals, feeding, diet and nutrition
- Assessing an alpaca (fleece and conformation)
- Herding, handling and haltering an alpaca
- Day to day husbandry tasks such as trimming toenails, body scoring, spotting health problems
- Common complaints how to spot them and what to do
The course will be part classroom and part hands-on with the alpacas so attendees should come prepared for the elements. A minimum of 5 attendees are required for the course to run. If the minimum number of people is not reached then attendees will be notified.
Phone & Email
Mount Pleasant Farm
Back Lane, Alfreton, DE55 6AJ